Thursday, January 29, 2009

Minister's retreat

This year, our (A/G) District conducted our annual "minister's retreat" at a place called Kalahari Resorts located in Sandusky, Ohio, ( about 4 hours north of Cincinnati), the largest indoor water park in the nation. We arrived on Monday afternoon and were scheduled to leave back to the office on Wednesday afternoon. What we did not expect was the first blizzard of 2009 to hit the entire state of Ohio, and much of the mid-west, all through Tuesday night and Wednesday afternoon. Oh, what to do?!?! Should we brave the roads and what could end up becoming a 6 to 6 and a half hour drive back to Cincinnati? Or, do we suffer for one more day and night at an indoor water park? HMMMM. To put everyone's suspicions to rest, we stayed another day and night, which was the right, safe decision. I can honsetly say that I did absolutely nothing but have fun for two days straight. I, unabashadly, skipped out on many of the Distirict's leadership sessions (they bring in a guest speaker to teach on certain subjects and issues throughout the two day event) for an intimate dance with waterslides and rides, proudly experiencing each one offered (There were around a dozen. You can call me irresponsible or a "ditcher", that's cool...i had a great time). However, the best part of this retreat was that I experienced the park with another member of my staff, and we bonded. As the new guy and all, I walked away with some great memories and have taken a step forward in relationship with my lead pastor and my other team members. You can't put a price tag on that!! I feel refreshed and, honestly, a little rejuvinated. I think this is the ideal result of a retreat such as this. Kudos to the District for recognizing an enjoyable atmosphere and allowing us to engage it. Two thumbs up!

1 comment:

Chris Smith said...

Hey Bro, I didn't know you were in Ohio, it's a great District. John Wootton is the man and Tom is a real cool guy. Tri County, who is the senior pastor there? Hit me up with an email so we can keep in touch, my address is chris@peopleschurch.tv. I'm at the church you read about in the book IT, I love my senior pastor, Herbert Cooper. He is the man!