Tuesday, December 16, 2008

empty words

I am about to be on my merry way to Panera Bread for a study session and a delicious caramel latte. but before i do this, i will stop by the "Christian book store" that is conveniently next door to pick up a book for my dad's Xmas present. whenever i pay and walk out the door, without fail the lady behind the counter will say "God Bless" to me. i smile politely and wish her a good day.
This makes me think every time. words can become ignorantly routine and ritual.

I made up my mind a long time ago to avoid being cliche with my words. All too often we (me included. though i made up my mind to avoid it doesn't mean i always do. after all, i do tell the lady at the book store to have a good day) say things without really thinking about what it is we are saying. even worse, we sometimes do not mean what we say. for instance, many people wish someone a good weekend when in reality they could care less if it sucks or not. furthermore, we ask someone how their week was going but really do not want to get into a conversation about it even though we asked. It is just a common, or cliche, courtesy that is anticipated from most people.
When someone has a phrase or something they say all the time to people, i wonder if it has become a routine (like "God Bless") and in the process loses a touch of true authenticity. Words are powerful. They have the ability to build up (and destroy as well). But words can lose their meaning and effectiveness if we allow them to become routine. They just become empty, and that is no good to anyone.

No comments: