Wednesday, March 25, 2009

God and Structure

I am in the middle of reading Exodus right now and it hit me: it took time, patience, effort and energy for God to lay down structure, a foundation, and expectations for Israel. We don't immediately have the ten commandments. Passover doesn't occur in Genesis let alone all the other Jewish holidays. Israel does not have their land nor cities until way later in the nations' history. This all took time; God demonstrates incredible patience and diligence when working with His people. That is amazing to me! We live in such an impatient got-to-have-it-yesterday culture that we forget great things take time to develop. I'm talking about Delayed Gratification. We can apply it to any area of our lives: youth ministry, relationships, sex, money, stuff, work, entertainment...anything. For instance, instead of going to get me some fast food, I "pump the brakes" (as one of my students says when referencing some one to slow it down speedracer), take the time, put in some effort and energy, and cook myself a nice healthy meal in the ol' apartment. I am trading something fast and easy that tastes good but isn't that healthy for me, for something that is Best even though it takes a little more time and effort. This must be applied to every part of our lives. I am learning, especially as a new Student Ministries Pastor, that Great things come to those who take one step at a time; do first things first. Sure, it's hard work. Sure, it takes time and patience to lay down structure. Sure, we hate delaying. But in the end, it will be well worth it. God ended up laying the foundation for people all around the globe who call themselves Christ-followers. Imagine what we could accomplish in our communities if we allow Him to guide us into the same practices. I love the old Bill Gates quote (which by the way my Lead Pastor and I quote for me almost daily): "Most people over-estimate what they can achieve in two years and under-estimate what they can accomplish in ten."

I believe God desires to do some great things in our lives and areas of leadership and/or work. They key is to take it one step at a time. We need not get too far ahead of ourselves. God doesn't...AND HE IS GOD! Therefore we shouldn't either. Patience and diligence are key components to success and greatness. I Now Digress.

No comments: